Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We could do this.
12-22-2010, 04:13 PM,
We could do this.
I've seen many Dead games come back to life from freelance projects and I have used this site before in the past and can tell you that the freelancers can work on a project like ours (legal or not) and with donations and alittle **help**

We could possibly do this, with the existing work that has already been contributed.

I have seen freelancers rebuild games from the ground up with just the Land Client (not connected to any live server)

I'm only throwing this out there for everyones idea.
And i might possibly know quite a few people willing to pitch in.

Scriptlance video

Scriptlance website
12-23-2010, 04:00 AM,
RE: We could do this.
Ive also contemplated hiring freelance coders (from india to the middleast) to assist in this project, but I have limited knowledge as far as rates go and how to monitor or keep track of what your paying for.

I have a customer who pays some guys in india to make websites for him, he tells me it's pennies on the dollar when compared to hiring a U.S based company or even him creating the sites.

Obviously an idea like this will require some approval and there will definitely be some naysayers, but I see it as an efficient and cost effective tool for the current obstacles we face, meaning the lack of free time that our Devs have to work on the code.
"We die because the people are asleep...you will die because the people will awaken"-Carl Sandburg
[Image: testsignew.jpg]
12-23-2010, 04:50 AM,
That's ok but, unless you didnt notice, takes real money ,and i try to save as much as i can right now.

Also, that would need to be a sum enough good to make it worth, which is high for mxo assembly code.

On the other hand, i said that we could just rebuild it with the client code, if we were pros on assembly, or have proffessionals on the topic.
12-23-2010, 06:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-23-2010, 06:59 AM by QuiDormit.)
Honestly, we barely understand huge pieces of this game as it is, do we really need to bring in outsiders?

Think about training, as well as the legal grey area that these projects are in. Any professional coder would probably shy away from doing this for pay, and wouldn't bother to do it for free unless they had a personal investment like Morph, for instance.

That's not even mentioning the money aspect. Someone would have to be the "financial officer" and be in charge of the money. So let's say we start throwing money at this. What happens if a few people decide that the results aren't good enough for them and freak out and threaten x y and z. There's always at least one.

Money complicates things like this so much, I hate to make an already muddy process even harder to navigate.

Also, I have a kid, so my financial responsibilities lie outside of paying to get a dead game back.

I don't think I'd ever pay for an approximation of MxO. Since it will never be what it once was, I can't see giving money to restore it to "near completion."

The other thing that really bothers me is that once money is involved cliques form. Suddenly, people are in charge, and there's not necessarily a fair say in who those people are. But that's just me, and I admit that I'm already prejudiced against any form of monetary involvement in these projects, so take my words with a grain of salt.
[Image: quisig.png]

The Source - The MxO Wiki related to everything MxO and its forthcoming emulators.