Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monolith and WBIE
06-23-2010, 05:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-23-2010, 05:49 PM by Neo.)
Monolith and WBIE
Hello guys,
well as i was interested why Warner Bros overtake more and more game studios, i was wondering a little bit what is with monolith Smile

What i didnt knew : Monolith was overtook in 2004 from warner bros , so Monolith is part of Warner Bros Interactive.

Well...this is really interesting , as i know didnt understand completely why SOE took over MxO Smile.

What i could imagine is that monotlith did the development , so SOE was only publisher.

On the other side, the reason for shutdown MxO could now have a new one, as i read that Warner Bros has reduced the employee amount from 3 of their game studios - including monolith.

So this would explain why this happens.

Just found it interesting, as Warner Bros is atm on the "game course" and that i am now more and more wondering why they gave up MxO (as it is their own game).

An interesting link is there too :

http://games.venturebeat.com/2010/06/10/warner-bros/

We acquired Monolith Productions in 2005. That was the first time we moved into the game business. We bought it for The Matrix Online massively multiplayer online game. It was an early move into those games. That game didn’t work out well. But that was the first step into the video game game business.
[Image: neofinal.png]
HD is now 100% Reality Code independent.
Now margin server packet analyse . Status 5/15.
06-24-2010, 03:34 PM,
RE: Monolith and WBIE
Quote:We acquired Monolith Productions in 2005. That was the first time we moved into the game business. We bought it for The Matrix Online massively multiplayer online game. It was an early move into those games. That game didn’t work out well. But that was the first step into the video game game business.

I don't know what happened between BETA and the final product before it's cancellation, but I remember and still have my 4 or 5 CD BETA copy of MxO, and those were truly fun times. Advertisement was horrible, and no incentive to attract a large audience, as well as, for me atleast, ruining gameplay by editing combat entirely, rather then small adjustments or improvements.

I remember when a level 1 mob could not touch a level 20+ Player Character. I also remember after SoE when in the same instance, the level 5 NPC succesfully attacked and damaged the Operative, even though he was in his Defensive stance.

I also remember when a level 15 could kill another player far beyond his own level, if his skill, items, and equipment was correct.

If this Emu were to come to life, would it be oldschool or newschool?

Also, interesting find. I did not know Warner Bros. bought monolith. Go figure? So why the change's that ruined (or in some people's opinion, made better) the combat system?
06-26-2010, 11:57 AM,
(06-24-2010, 03:34 PM)xMDSx Wrote:
Quote:We acquired Monolith Productions in 2005. That was the first time we moved into the game business. We bought it for The Matrix Online massively multiplayer online game. It was an early move into those games. That game didn’t work out well. But that was the first step into the video game game business.

I don't know what happened between BETA and the final product before it's cancellation, but I remember and still have my 4 or 5 CD BETA copy of MxO, and those were truly fun times. Advertisement was horrible, and no incentive to attract a large audience, as well as, for me atleast, ruining gameplay by editing combat entirely, rather then small adjustments or improvements.

I remember when a level 1 mob could not touch a level 20+ Player Character. I also remember after SoE when in the same instance, the level 5 NPC succesfully attacked and damaged the Operative, even though he was in his Defensive stance.

I also remember when a level 15 could kill another player far beyond his own level, if his skill, items, and equipment was correct.

If this Emu were to come to life, would it be oldschool or newschool?

Also, interesting find. I did not know Warner Bros. bought monolith. Go figure? So why the change's that ruined (or in some people's opinion, made better) the combat system?

This emu is being created using captured and decoded packets from just before MxO went offline. All the developers are doing is using those packets to recreate the servers as they were at the time of the shutdown. So to answer your question, It will be based on CR2 (newschool in your words), it would be impossible to recreate CR1 without the original code from monolith/SOE.

I wasnt around during CR1 but I was told by many people that CR1 although alot of fun was very buggy. I also know that the SOE dev team didnt know the code that well after all the monolith coders left so instead of fixing it they decided to recreate it. I could be wrong but this is what ive gather from discussions with old players.
[Image: Zenomwb.png]
06-26-2010, 10:57 PM,
I bet that SoE or the ones in charge should have paid more skilled devs.... just my opinion....

and the worse part is that the client itself is almost a mixture of things put together, just using part of it...
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM,
I remember CR1... allthough it was not totally bad, i think the CR2 was a more fair system, and more a feeling of control.
The thing with cr1 was, that it was a feeling of turn based action, so a fight took a lil longer to finish.
The funny thing was, cr2 was implemented at the anniversery event (i think it was blue sky event) and u had to reconfigure your hotbar.
So i jacked in and thaught i had all the time in the world, to configure the hotbar, but when i was busy doing so at tabor west, a whole group of sleepwalkers spawned around me and started kicking my butt :-).
So i hada hard time killin m all in selfdefence mode instead of kungfu lol
[Image: 38503415623903447979810.jpg]