Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question from a newbie
12-20-2009, 09:22 PM,
Question from a newbie
First: please excuse me if you find this question "noobish" as I never played The Matrix Online even though I am a big Matrix fan (I was deterred by the fact that I needed to pay a subscription). But I just read something VERY interesting in the Manifold Mischief blog. Here's what:
Quote:Incredible talent thrives at mxoemu.info. Through nothing but sheer scary brainpower they have created a working version of MxO than will run on your computer. There’s no server, no player interactivity, no abilities, and (big sigh) no inventory. But there is still the whole wide world to wander in, including the matchless graphics and the great music. I got my son to set it up for me; smarter people will be able to do it themselves. Besides all the standard locations, there are also available several intriguing constructs which were built but never populated or developed. And I finally got to see the White Room!
This seems awesome to me. A serverless version of the game world I can explore on my computer, with the whole city for myself, sort of like "The Matrix Offline". Now where, oh where, do I find this wonderful software?
12-20-2009, 09:24 PM,
RE: Question from a newbie
vvvvv
12-20-2009, 10:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2009, 10:13 PM by Devil Master.)
Thank you for pointing me to the FAQ, but there are still some things I don't understand.
1) The FAQ links to the thread that allows you to download the 3 CDs of the game, but that thread says that downloading those ISOs is not necessary and says to "look in the sticky" which is linked by the FAQ as a link for patched files only, to decompress into a directory of an existing MxO installation. So, do I need the complete game... or not?
2) The answer to the question "How can I run around in this stand alone version?" points to a thread that explains how to set up the server, but does not answer the question. I suppose I also need the client (just the client that is linked in the sticky or the whole game as 3 CDs?), but how do I set that up? And after I installed the server... what else do I have to do, to run around in the standalone version?
12-20-2009, 10:47 PM,
1. Well, I was never sure. Some say you don't, but I figured we'd need the full game installed once everything was done, so I just reinstalled.

2. Not sure what else could be said, its pretty straight forward. You set up the server, patch your game manually and use "loluser" and "lolpass" to login. Morph has said you shouldn't need for a character select to come up to get in, but I still get it. If it pops up for you, select "lolcharacter" and you should be good.

And as posted in the FAQ list, there's 3rd party tools so you can change your appearance, if you'd like.
12-21-2009, 02:35 AM,
i would call it "localserver version" instead of serverless. you need a server to connect.

and the other things were answered by gerik xD.
I just un7ziped the full client and use te v2 things to test.

Anyway, if you install through the clients "as is" (3cd's) you should get an old version that doesnt work, need latest patches.... which are on the big rar. Maybe we should upload a patch-to-overwrite-files only version as would be less than 1,5gb for sure... dunno.
12-21-2009, 08:23 AM,
no it wouldnt
almost all packmaps were modified
the monolith patcher understood packmap structure and was able to overwrite files within them and add new files to them
01-24-2010, 02:40 PM,
i jsut want a video showing how to set all this stuff up