Hardline Dreams - A Python Matrix Online Server Project
WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Printable Version

+- Hardline Dreams - A Python Matrix Online Server Project (http://mxo.hardlinedreams.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Matrix Online (http://mxo.hardlinedreams.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: MxO General Discussion (http://mxo.hardlinedreams.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise (/showthread.php?tid=272)

Pages: 1 2

WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Metalogic - 01-20-2010

Quote:I bet we're seeing it more because of the rights WB is now letting go to others. Maybe that's why MxO was closed?

Link

Does anyone know what this guy is going on about?

Also, to make this topic interesting, has anyone else been seeing more Matrix stuff ever since SOE's MxO server went offline?

I have, I've seen the movies on AMC and other channels, I've been seeing it more on websites, and stuff like that.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Othinn - 01-20-2010

Well, other than MxO, there hasn't been any new Matrix-related stuff since Path of Neo came out in 2005.

But in October/November of 2009, I noticed two events that I thought were interesting:

1. The sequels aired on MTV.

2. G4 aired Reloaded in their "Movies That Don't Suck" block.

I also seem to recall the sequels airing on BET, but that may have been before MxO shut down. I'm not sure what the guy in the thread you linked us to is talking about, though.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Morpheus - 01-20-2010

no fucking idea.

anyway, we accept that they have the legal rights of the matrix franchise.. including our current project (the client part, of course).

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Valaro - 01-21-2010

There isnt no debate here. Warner will renew ALL the rights they own the date they expire, so that they will FOREVER hold the rights unless they are offered ALOT of money for them. Billions?

So to conclude we will never be legally allowed to create anything Matrix related. Off the record and down low! Yeah sure. And if we were to change the client then it wouldnt be theres. but were just going to recreate it. Technically illegal but so far they dont seem to care. And believe im sure they know by now what were doing!

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Twaggy - 01-21-2010

(01-21-2010, 12:19 AM)Valaro Wrote: There isnt no debate here. Warner will renew ALL the rights they own the date they expire, so that they will FOREVER hold the rights unless they are offered ALOT of money for them. Billions?

So to conclude we will never be legally allowed to create anything Matrix related. Off the record and down low! Yeah sure. And if we were to change the client then it wouldnt be theres. but were just going to recreate it. Technically illegal but so far they dont seem to care. And believe im sure they know by now what were doing!

They know what ya had for tea, nevermind what is going on here!

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Metalogic - 01-21-2010

(01-21-2010, 12:33 AM)Twaggy Wrote:
(01-21-2010, 12:19 AM)Valaro Wrote: There isnt no debate here. Warner will renew ALL the rights they own the date they expire, so that they will FOREVER hold the rights unless they are offered ALOT of money for them. Billions?

They know what ya had for tea, nevermind what is going on here!

Dammit...they stole my grandma's crumpet recipe again didn't they?!

Time to go to SOE's HQ and kick some ass.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Morpheus - 01-21-2010

(01-21-2010, 12:19 AM)Valaro Wrote: So to conclude we will never be legally allowed to create anything Matrix related. Off the record and down low! Yeah sure. And if we were to change the client then it wouldnt be theres. but were just going to recreate it. Technically illegal but so far they dont seem to care. And believe im sure they know by now what were doing!
We are not going to change the client... (content) i think. And no, we are not illegal. At least not in my country (were i think that there are no hard laws about reengineering). But is more like a legal gray point than illegal. And as long as we are not publishing it for profit... is like writing an essay about the Matrix...
We may even loose money if we put a server xD.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - JazznJos - 01-21-2010

Wether you change part of the code or not. If it still has a portion of the orginal code/images/layout/sounds/etc...etc... they still hold the rights to it. As long as your using their client to do the connections. Do they care we are doing this? No they dont. Would they care if we charaged? Yes they would and it wouldnt matter what country you are from. And if they cant get it to shut down then they will more then likley just have a 3rd party DoS the servers.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Metalogic - 01-21-2010

(01-21-2010, 02:55 AM)JazznJos Wrote: Wether you change part of the code or not. If it still has a portion of the orginal code/images/layout/sounds/etc...etc... they still hold the rights to it. As long as your using their client to do the connections. Do they care we are doing this? No they dont. Would they care if we charaged? Yes they would and it wouldnt matter what country you are from. And if they cant get it to shut down then they will more then likley just have a 3rd party DoS the servers.
I have done research on this, and here are the requirements we must meet to not have any legal problems.

1. We must give credit where credit is due.
2. Be F2P. As long as we make it clear that it's just a hobby, we should be fine.
3. Any storyline cannot be official, so basically fanfic.

As long as we do those three things, we should be in the clear, or at least in a legal gray that is in our favor.

RE: WB rights to The Matrix Franchise - Twaggy - 01-21-2010

(01-21-2010, 03:05 AM)Metalogic Wrote:
(01-21-2010, 02:55 AM)JazznJos Wrote: Wether you change part of the code or not. If it still has a portion of the orginal code/images/layout/sounds/etc...etc... they still hold the rights to it. As long as your using their client to do the connections. Do they care we are doing this? No they dont. Would they care if we charaged? Yes they would and it wouldnt matter what country you are from. And if they cant get it to shut down then they will more then likley just have a 3rd party DoS the servers.
I have done research on this, and here are the requirements we must meet to not have any legal problems.

1. We must give credit where credit is due.
2. Be F2P. As long as we make it clear that it's just a hobby, we should be fine.
3. Any storyline cannot be official, so basically fanfic.

As long as we do those three things, we should be in the clear, or at least in a legal gray that is in our favor.

Just dandy then! Cause that is all that is planned...correct?